I’ve always been a little reluctant to jump on a wagon, but Her Bad Mother’s invitation just looked a little too much like a party I really wanted to join, but never had the nerve. I often relent to peer-pressure just late enough to be dubiously labeled a Johnny Come Lately. (Don’t get me started on my whole Croc issue. I’m the matriarch of the Croc Family Robinson after two years of résistance that would put the French to shame. Blame my podiatrist.)
In college, my roommate said I looked like a bag lady as I pedaled my way to campus with a tackle box o’art supplies bungee cord laced to my pannier rack and saddled with textured papers and sketchbooks. Dog-eared texts flapped in trails behind me as I rode off in a skewed ensemble of bike gear accessories and shaved head art girl apparel. In East Tennessee, I’m sure I looked as out of place as the shelter-seeking can-collectors trolling the off-campus housing district who met me bleary eyed on Sunday mornings for my aluminum hand offs.
I have an overwhelming compulsion to always be prepared. I think it comes from years of traveling in a pack fronted by a military, boy-scout leader father. And I tend to over pack for the shortest of trips, because you just never know when you’ll need a sharpie or a safety pin! (Although now I keep them fastened to my clothes for easier dispense.) Without further ado (therapists, avert your eyes), here it is: the diaper bag (because I am never without child(ren) and have no need for a personal / hand bag/purse.
CLOCKWISE (Photoshop is giving me the spinning color wheel of death so no markers):
1. Snack bag: gold fish crackers, applesauce, granola bar
2. Diaper sack: paper, cloth and swim plus wipes and changing pad
3. Dirty diaper sacks (one for disposables, one for cloth)
4. Metro parent magazine marked for August events
5. Ninja Adhesive bandages (you never know when a ninja will strike…)
6. Zoo map
7. Wet ones
8. 121 Yen (haven’t cleaned out this bag since April, apparently)
9. Safety pins
10. Very cool eraser – always has a corner!
11. Mirror strip from lipstick case
12. Clothes pin
13. Astro Boy wallet
14. Hello Kitty cell phone
16. LIP LOVE: Chapstick with SPF 15 (great for protecting tattoos without tan lines), Burt’s Bees Champagne Lip Shimmer, MAC Lustreglass Ornamental A94, Este lauder
17. Uneo Zoo ticket stubs (really, REALLY need to clean the bag out)
18. Multi color mini Sharpies
19. Hair thingy-ma-bobs
21. Hair Band
Whew! That wasn’t so bad. But it looks like I need to do some repacking and organizing. A 72 hour emergency could be moments away…